Navigation Bar

Home              About Me              Contact

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Math is Fun?

 Just a quick post today.  In math, we have been working on decimals.  There isn't a lot I like about the math program we use (only because it's my first year using it), but if I had to choose one thing, it would be that the program does a great job of allowing the students to learn through fun activities and "games".  Last week, the students completed an activity called, "The Jeweler's Gold."  Basically, on a poster, they showed two different methods of adding weights of gold (with decimals).  Most of the students had a great time (at least the ones who were not arguing with each other).  On Friday, we played a game with tenths, hundredths, and thousandths digit cards.  The students drew 5 cards, and then had to determine the 3 cards with the greatest value.  They then took those three cards and had to add them up.  They all thought they were playing a game, but really they were just practicing adding decimals.  The best part was that all I had to do was walk around, monitor, and ask the students questions.  It was great, especially for a Friday! :)

That's all for today!  I hope everyone has a great week!


3 comments:

  1. Well, fun. But mostly here to say CONGRATS, you TEACHER OF THE MONTH you! :) Wanted to say it all day but never saw you... :) And felt that your blog deserved to know!! See you in morning, Leslie. You are totally deserving of the honor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks, Katie!! Did you hear my class cheering when they heard? It was very sweet! :) Thanks, again, friend!

      Delete
    2. Awww, so sweet! I didn't hear it, but not surprised. That's even better than winning. :)

      Delete

Thank for reading my blog! I would love to read your comments! :) I apologize for the word verification images that are so hard to read. You wouldn't believe the amount of SPAM I receive daily without the word verification.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...