Navigation Bar

Home              About Me              Contact

Monday, July 9, 2012

Monday Made It: Sorting Papers

This is my first time participating in Monday Made It!  Let me tell you, I have been bursting at the seams since Friday wanting to share my creation, but I made myself wait! :)  So, anyone connected to the educational pinning world has probably seen the plastic drawer system for sorting papers.  Let me find the picture...  Can I just go off topic for a second and mention that it drives me NuTs!! when only a blog is pinned and not the actual blog post.  It's so frustrating having to search through entries to find the picture that I saw on Pinterest!  Ok, back to my Monday Made It... So I'm sure you've seen this on Pinterest.  It's a SUPER great idea, but I must say, it's not very pretty.  I was reading The Help, on Friday and all of a sudden it hit me!  SCRAPBOOK PAPER AND MOD PODGE!!!  Now let me say, I had never, ever used Mod Podge before (unless you consider the Mod Podge for puzzles as a kid).  It was a new, wonderful experience!  :)  I tried to take pictures as I went along, but I was sort of [messy] with the Mod Podge and really didn't want to ruin the iPhone, so there are only a few.  BUT I'm excited to share.
I should also mention that I got my idea from a pin I saw about two years ago.  Let me go find that one... I want everyone getting credit!!  So, Jen's blog was really helpful.  Like I said, I'd never used Mod Podge before and I had no idea what to do with it!  You gotta love clear, step by step directions!  I'm going to go off topic again...  Blogger sometimes really annoys me with where it wants to put pictures and where it doesn't want to put them.  Thankfully, I have a bit of knowledge with HTML.  Ugh!!  Back on topic... I'm so glad Mod Podge dries clear.  I applied the initial coat of Mod Podge haphazardly!  I could see pockets where there was too much.  I'll just caption the pictures from on out...

I used my "paper slicer" to cut the scrapbook paper down to the right size, and I printed the labels on regular computer paper.  Then I used my spiffy, decorative scissors to put out the labels.  Finally, I used rubber cement (LOVE) to glue the labels to the pieces of scrapbook paper.
You can see where I had too much Mod Podge.
Next, I tried to smooth out the air bubbles and wrinkles and applied 3 coats of Mod Podge to the back side letting it dry between coats.
Final product!  The first drawer I did was the top one.  You can see that I went to the left with the paper on that and to the right with the paper on the other two.  That's the only flaw that stands out to me, but I'm pretty proud!  I think it turned out really cute! :)

I hope you all like it!  Let me know what you think!  Also head over to Fourth Grade Frolics and view other Monday Made It ideas!  :)
post signature

21 comments:

  1. Nice job! I love that font. What is it? I'm a new follower. Enjoy your summer- what's left of it, anyway. Great blog, by the way.
    ann
    The Caffeinated Classroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! :) The font is called "Janda Scrapgirl Dots" (http://www.dafont.com/janda-scrapgirl-dots.font). It is one of my favorite fonts!

      Delete
  2. Great job. You have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I will have to make one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this same project pinned to make! I love the personal touches that you added to it. Very cute! :)
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how this turned out:) The colors are wonderful!! I may have to be making one of these:) So super glad you linked up and hope you can do it again next week:) Thanks bunches:)

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wanting to link up for a few weeks, but I never could think of anything to make! Thanks for doing this! I've already started working on ideas I've seen from some of the other folks that have linked up! :)

      Delete
  6. Looks so great! Love the paper and the whole look :o)

    Sabra
    Teaching with a Touch of Twang

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea! I've been trying to figure out different ways to cut the clutter on my desk and those are the perfect categories I need! And I love how cute you made it...stealing this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just found your cute blog through the linky and am your newest follower. :)


    Amanda
    Teaching Maddeness
    Come join my linky party!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How CUTE!
    I love this idea.

    EmilyK

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this, the color choices are so fun. Thanks for sharing.

    Jill
    Bubbalulu.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you've just inspired me for my next "Monday Made-It"! I've seen these all over Pinterest but like you said, they weren't ever very cute! I LOVE yours! Last night I actually made Monday-Friday signs just like these and now all I need are the drawers! I think I'll pick up an extra set so I can make the grade/copy/file one as well! :) I'm your newest follower!

    Allison
    http://staycalmteachon.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that's a good idea! One of the teachers I work with has a super nice metal and canvas draw system that actually has Monday-Friday printed on the drawers. I wish I knew where she got it, but I'm sure I couldn't afford it! I might have to borrow your idea! Thanks for visiting and following! :)

      Delete
  12. I love this project! This will have to be next on my "to-do" list. You know, the ever growing list that never stops!

    Please check out my new blog and become a follower! I'd love to have you!

    http://beyondthegradebook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh My Goodness Gracious! I love this! I need to be more organized with grading papers and this is perfect. Thank you so much for sharing.

    I am happy to be your newest follower. I would love for you to hop over and visit me when you get the chance. =)


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay, I just bought my drawers. What are the measurements you used for the paper?

    I am so excited to make this. When I share mine, I'll link it back to you and hopefully you'll get some new followers! We all love new followers! =)


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, let me think... I THINK I cut my paper to about 9 1/4", but mine were slightly short. Then I put the paper inside the drawer to get the height. I would strongly suggest doing your own measurements, though! I wouldn't want you to ruin your paper! Have fun! :)

      P.S. Share great ideas and your followers will come on their own. :)

      Delete
  15. Love your blog! Glad you were able to use my drawer idea!! I nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award! Visit my blog to pick up your award!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! You definitely had a GREAT idea!! :)

      Delete

Thank for reading my blog! I would love to read your comments! :) I apologize for the word verification images that are so hard to read. You wouldn't believe the amount of SPAM I receive daily without the word verification.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...