Navigation Bar

Home              About Me              Contact

Friday, January 11, 2013

Baking for Good

My entry is mainly about a great, delicious cause.  One of my friends and co-workers ordered cookies from the website Baking for Good.  What they do is donate 15% of the proceeds from your order to a cause of your choice.  Pretty great!  Katie ordered the cookies hoping to try them herself, but they didn't arrive until after she started a fast.  Thank goodness as far as I'm concerned!  They were delicious!  Please visit Katie's blog {cardiganway.com} and check out her post!  Really, you should read her entire blog... it's great!
The second part of this post is about Science/Global Awareness.  Yesterday, we were talking about weather instruments.  When we got to the thermometer, I mentioned that many thermometers have either alcohol or mercury inside, but most thermometers that go in your mouth don't use mercury anymore.  (You know, because it's toxic)  One of my students raised her had and started telling me about a show she saw on the History Channel.  It just so happened that I saw the same show over Christmas break.  What it was...  The first emperor of China, Qin Shi Huang, was obsessed with immortality.  His alchemist made him mercury pills that were supposed to make him immortal.  They did not.  They actually killed him.  So, today, I gave them all of the correct information, showed them where the Qin Empire was on the map, and also told them about Qin Shi Huang's terracotta army.  I think they thought that was the coolest part.  We found a 5-minute video on Discovery Education to watch to sum it all up.  That was, really, the first 100% genuine global connection we've made, and I can thank a student! :)  Fun, fun!

I hope everyone has a lovely weekend!

post signature

1 comment:

  1. Yay!! And yay for commenting. :) Thank you for the nice words. See you in the morning, Leslie.

    ReplyDelete

Thank for reading my blog! I would love to read your comments! :) I apologize for the word verification images that are so hard to read. You wouldn't believe the amount of SPAM I receive daily without the word verification.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...