Navigation Bar

Home              About Me              Contact

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Holy Mackerel!

The reason for the blog title?  As of yesterday, my blog has had over 11,000 views!  That's a lot!!  Also, always begin with good news, right?  Well, TUESDAY I can start working in my classroom!!!  Woot woot!!  Which means I can get all of my school stuff OUT OF MY APARTMENT!!  I'm beyond excited if you can't tell.
The Teacher Wife 
Since it is summer, I am having a hard time remembering my favorite picture books for the classroom, but I wanted to join the Picture Book Linky Party (a little late).  These are a few I can think of:

1. The Man Who Walked Between the Towers
We used this book last year to do a lesson with tracking thinking.  The strategy was thrown out the window, and we ended up having a long, in-depth conversation about 9/11.  5th graders are so interested in the topic, and it's fun to hear what they know and what they think they know.  I have a mental picture that I don't think I'll ever forget of having all the kids' attention when I was telling them about my memories from the day.  You could have heard a pin drop!

2. America's White Table
 This is a great book for kids who have no idea about the impacts of war on individuals and families.  I read this during my student teaching experience, and honestly, I had to pass the book off to my cooperating teacher because I couldn't stop crying.  It is such a great book!

3. Sunsets of the West
This is a GREAT book to introduce Westward Expansion.  As you can see from the cover, the illustrations are gorgeous!  It is out of print (silly) but you can find it used online and if you're lucky, it might be in your school library.

4. Enigma: A Magical Mystery
I love this book!  If you're doing a lesson on rhyming or poetry, this one would be great!  The illustrations are amazing, too.  While you read, you're trying to solve a mystery.  It's great, but WARNING: There is a "key" at the end of the book.  I had to take it away last year, because they were playing with the key instead of reading!  But...Honestly, any book by Graeme Base is wonderful!

That's it for today.  I'm dog/house sitting this weekend.  This is the licking monster I'm watching...

P.S. I'm going to try to do a giveaway for "The Quietest Classroom Pencil Sharpener" but I have to have 100+ followers before they'll consider me.  So, follow and get your friends to follow as well! :)
(If you want...) :)

August Currently!


No matter how many times I see episodes of The Andy Griffith Show, it never gets old.  I think it's one of the best TV shows to ever be produced.  Just a random thought for the day.
  • Laminator - Like I said yesterday, it's been very handy getting ready for school.
  • Children's Books - Can you ever have enough?  I definitely need more!
  • Storage Containers - I need containers to put markers, colored pencils, crayons, etc in.  I know what I need, I'm just not sure I can afford it right now.
Click to link up!

6 comments:

  1. Yes payday would be great and I love my laminator! The one I had was 10 years old and died this summer, I immediately replaced it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very hesitant about buying it, but I'm so glad I did! :)

      Delete
  2. I found you over at Fourth and Ten and saw your comment about a teacher's desk. I tried to use a table for a few years, but I just couldn't seem to stay organized. I have also noticed that several teachers have not been able to get into their classrooms until a certain date. I feel very blessed that we have had access to our room all summer. Best wishes with your classroom! By the way, we love Andy, too!

    Kelly
    Teaching Fourth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! I guess it's a good thing, I've not been able to work at school this summer... I probably would have been there alllll summer! :) Thanks, again! :)

      Delete
  3. I found your blog through Farley's Currently and I 'm glad I did! I teach first grade and just started blogging. Come stop by blog to see what's new in Florida!

    Your Newest Follower,

    Lindsey
    Fantastic First Grade Friends

    ReplyDelete
  4. New follower here! I found you through the Currently linky. Thanks for the book suggestions! I'm interested to read America's White Table... I hope my Half Price Books has it.

    ~Sarah
    Write On, Fourth Grade!

    ReplyDelete

Thank for reading my blog! I would love to read your comments! :) I apologize for the word verification images that are so hard to read. You wouldn't believe the amount of SPAM I receive daily without the word verification.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...